My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lisa-walsh-blog.com/
and update your bookmarks.


Monday, November 19, 2007

Flag Football


It's not easy being me. No, really. I can't please everyone when it comes to this blog stuff. I get a lot of comments like "So-and-so wants to know why you didn't post about (fill-in-the-blank)." To which I usually respond "Oh, really. I didn't even know So-and-so read the blog." (Hint, hint).

This came up recently in relation to a couple of things going on here, and one was The Youngest's flag football festivities.

You shouldn't have got me started on that one.

It was The Husband's idea, and I was against it from the start. Not because I have anything against organized team sports. Of course I don't. It's just that, well, The Youngest is not the toughest nail in the box. On any given day you can here him screaming 30 miles from our house after he's run through the living room (again) and fallen flat on his face. If there's any blood...even the tiniest microscopic drop that could only be seen by The Youngest and a team of CSI Investigator's...you can hear him in PA.

So I asked The Husband why, WHY, we were going to pay $50 to listen to him scream every Saturday afternoon. I mean, don't we get enough of that at home for free?

But I digress...it hasn't been that bad. In fact, after assuring The Youngest the morning of the first practice that he did not need a helmet, he seems to have toughened up a bit. In fact, he fell flat on his face last Saturday and while my heart stopped as I waited for the screaming to begin, he got right back up and was fine.

Which brings me to the reason you haven't seen any pictures.

Flag football is boring. I mean, The Youngest spends half an hour sitting on the sidelines so all the kids get their turn to play. The other half of the time, when he is playing, he has no clue what he's supposed to be doing. The first 2 Saturday's he ran around ripping flags off of anyone within reach. It was right about then that we realized the Coaches weren't really teaching the fundamentals of the game. To top it off he's 5, which means there isn't much of an attention span. If someone doesn't show him what he's supposed to be doing, he starts rolling around doing somersaults on the floor. It's about that time that I start looking around for a place to hide. I explained all of that to Thelma but I guess she thought I was exaggerating. She went with me for the first time on Saturday, and about halfway through she looked at me and said "I thought it would be more exciting."

Didn't I tell you it was all I could do to stay awake??

Yesterday I overheard The Husband ask him if he wanted to play soccer. God help me!

2 comments:

Jim, "Homer" said...

If I may be so bold to offer some advice for this flag football stuff. That is such a great age, not for the action but for the other things they do. You know, like picking his nose when no one but your camera is looking. I've gotten some great non-action shots from kids that age.

This is a great opportunity for him to grow and for you to get some awsome candid shots, which by the way I hope to see here or the other place (hint hint).

Lisa Walsh said...

Lol! Thanks for giving me another take on it. I promise I'll take pictures at the next game.