My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lisa-walsh-blog.com/
and update your bookmarks.


Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

I was on the heavy side when The Husband and I met, but was working on loosing the excess weight. When all was said and done I'd dropped around 25 lbs. or so. I was critiquing my body in the mirror one morning, thinking out loud about the area's God blessed me and the one's he didn't, when The Husband (who was The Fiance at the time) said "If anything, I think you could use a tummy tuck and that's it."

Huh?

Now, many of you know The Husband, and he's really one of the sweetest, selfless individuals you'll ever meet. It's hard to think a man like that could open up his mouth and shatter his significant other's self-esteem in one sentance, but he is, after all, a man. They seem to have a knack for these things.

Last night I was cleaning up the kitchen while The Youngest was finishing up his dinner when I heard "Mommy, you're getting thin." I turned around, in shock. It seems I've done something right as a parent.

"What did you say honey?"
"I said you're getting thin."
"What made you say that?"
"Because you're getting thin. When you get thin you get taller."
(Giving him a big hug) "Thanks, honey. That was the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day."

And now I'll let you have dessert even though you didn't eat all of your dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have let him have 2 desserts.

Homewrecker

Anonymous said...

No matter what, I stuck my foot in my mouth that day, but I seem to recall the conversation a bit differently. I typed a long defense to my momentary insanity but deleted it. There was no excuse, nor am I going too be allowed to forget, for my dumb comment. Not when most of the readers and responsers are women. Needless to say I have learned so much about my Wonderful Wife these past years that I have learned to internally edit any helpful, all be it stupid, advice I may have. By the way Honey, you are getting skinny.
The Husband

Lisa Walsh said...

Honey, you know this was not a Husband bashing post. I just needed to throw you under the bus to give some background info for the post. Take one for the team. I still love you.

H-Dub, you're right. I should've given him 2 desserts.

Jen said...

Dessert of breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month if my son ever says that to me unprompted!