My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lisa-walsh-blog.com/
and update your bookmarks.


Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Mohawk That Wasn't




The Oldest is a "Pre-teen". Do you know what that means? Do you? It means, basically, that I have to drink a lot of wine to survive the next 6 years, cuz if I don't he might not live through it. It means that since I'm home all day trying to turn him into a successful adult and future husband, I get more than my fair share of "looks that could kill", huffing and puffing, stomping off, and even an occasional door slam.


Thelma tries to help me through it because she's wise beyond her years and is years away from having a Pre-teen. A few weeks ago she enlightened me with "It Doesn't Matter", my new mantra to be used in situations like when I find out he didn't really do his homework like he said he did. (Which, thank God, is an issue we won't have for several more weeks).


Yes, I'm getting to the point...


Anyway, The Oldest had asked for a Mohawk at some point (granted, looking back on it, it may have been a few years ago) and I'd promptly told him "no". After considering it (for several years, apparently?) I decided he could have one. After all, it's only hair, right? So last night I decided to surprise him with it. The Husband documented the occasion.


And of course he hated it.


Why didn't I see that coming? Why?


Needless to say, it was too late to go back. His choices were either A) live with it until it grows in or B) buzz it all off. He decided to buzz it all off. I was really worried about how it was going to play out, because I remember my Mom giving me a perm when I was in Kindergarten or 1st grade. I hated it and I went to school with a hood on to hide it. During class the teacher told me to take my hood off and I remember crying because I didn't want to, and the kids started laughing at me when I finally took it off. I'm still traumatized just remembering it.


But somehow we managed to get through it without any eye-rolling, huffing and puffing OR stomping off. He was a good sport about it, as was I, although to be fair I'm the one still sporting all my hair.


I guess he told himself it didn't matter.

No comments: