My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lisa-walsh-blog.com/
and update your bookmarks.


Saturday, October 25, 2008

NYC Boat Tour

My clients can affirm that when they purchase their images from me on DVD, I let them know that the best place for them to print the images is Mpix. Mpix is a division of Millers (a pro lab) that is designed to serve consumers. Their products are top-notch, the turnaround is super-quick, and the customer service is wonderful. Even better is that, since the images on the DVD are already color corrected, my client's can upload images to Mpix and get small sized prints for only $0.19. I've invested tons of time and money into my photography, and I want my images to look their absolute best. My reputation is on the line every time those prints are shown to friends and family, and I simply don't want my client's local 1 hour labs in charge of my reputation.

Yesterday, compliments of Mpix, I was one of 60 very lucky photographer's who were given VIP passes to go on a NYC boat tour.

The trip started Thursday night, as we'd realized earlier in the week that the boys didn't have school that day and Hot Husband was going to have to take the day off to keep them occupied. So Thursday afternoon we made the 3 hour drive to his sister's house, who lives about an hour outside of the city.

Friday morning we were up at 4 am to prepare for our drive. Although it was about an hour to Sarah's house in N.J. (Sarah is another photographer I met online, who was going on the tour and graciously offered to be our tour guide), we were concerned about traffic, getting lost, and whether or not we'd have time for my customary trip to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee. Hot Husband and I decided it was better to be safe than sorry, so we left my Sister-In-Law's house around 5:15 PC. (Pre-Coffee).

I was certain there would be an opportunity for coffee in the near future, but it didn't present itself until we met Sarah in N.J. After breaking every traffic law in the books between 5 and 6:30 am, we finally arrived at her house safe and sound, with enough time to stop at the Dunkin' Donuts down the block from her and still catch the train.

Since Hot Husband, The Oldest and The Youngest are not photographers, their plan was to ride the train with us and then head over to the Central Park Zoo. The Youngest made the best of every moment he had with Sarah, though, and by the time we left her I'd nicknamed her "Aunt Sarah." We may be naming her as his guardian if anything should happen to Hot Husband and I.

The boat tour was amazing. I got to meet and hang out with a handful of photographer's I've met online, as well as a couple of the Mpix guys and Rick Sammon. Sarah, I want to thank you for being such a wonderful tour guide, a great "Aunt" to The Youngest, and for letting me play with your iPhone. I can't wait to hang out with you again! The next time you see me I will have an iPhone, too.


Rick was kind enough to seek out the perfect spot for a portrait.



I thought this was the Empire State Building, but Hot Husband informed me that it's actually the Chrysler Building. I guess it's appropriate that I took it's picture, then, since it's the dealership I head to every time I'm car shopping.



I was feeling extremely patriotic, and when I noticed this flag blowing in the wind at the back of the boat, I staked out my spot and waited for an icon to include in the picture. This image of the flag with the Brooklyn Bridge turned out to be my favorite.



I hope tilting Lady Liberty isn't considered un-patriotic.



I took some non-tilty one's, too. I love all of the people at the bottom of the image. It gives you a real sense of how tall she really is.



My wonderful city guide, Sarah, who will probably kill me for posting this.



Me being smart while Joe from Mpix (in the red) was taking our group shot.



The group shot. From left to right: John from Mpix, Dave, Risco, Me, Chris, Gro and Sarah.



Link
P.S. I don't know why blogger isn't making my images bigger. I put the html code in. Stupid Blogger! This is why I switched to wordpress!

P.P.S. Still working on getting my wordpress blog up and running!

P.P.P.S. There. I fixed it. Bad Blogger!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is good. my fafrit picsher is the stachu of liberty.

the yungist

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Hon. As soon as I figure out how to get the picyures off my phone you can post some of the pictures of our tour.
The Husband

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i was about to compliment you on the photos, but now my favorite part is the youngest's post. he's yours, tho, so it's like I'm still complimenting you! The pictures came out great! Hope you had fun! And I hope the boys had fun at the zoo!
- the aide

Stacey J. said...

That looks like it was a blast Lisa!!! Totally jealous!

Anonymous said...

Hah! I LOLed when I read the caption. I won't bug you ... that's one of the best action shots of me with my 70-200 I've seen. Normally I just look like a total papparazo. :) I'll have to post some images sooner or later too.

Krista said...

Oh my gosh 5:15pc made me crack up...too funny!
You got some great images that day!

Amy said...

There are a whole lot of cameras in this post ;-) Love the skyline photo, great positioning using the sky.

MattDJ said...

I grew up in Brooklyn!! :-) So, you're not happy with Blogger either huh? I'm lookin' at WP too. Just don't have the time to do much more than that! ;-)
The Fan